Sunday, June 21, 2009

Miracles and Curses

*Inara is seen sitting cross-legged in the main room of her living quarters with a few candles for light as she meditates.*

The irony of asking for a second chance, then being unsure what to do with it once you had it... It's not lost on me.

*Several minutes pass as she sits there in silence.*

I was approached by a woman that doesn't exist, that has no ties to anything, yet claims to have a connection with the Cartel. She told me she could get Reppy back to me, I didn't know what to do; How was I supposed to just accept that offer without question, especially knowing I didn't deserve a second chance... after what I did. But, I couldn't walk away without trying.

*Inara goes silent again for a period, not moving or opening her eyes.*

I didn't expect her to do what she did... kidnap Reppy under the pretense of returning her to her family in the Kingdom. She didn't tell me what she was planning, and I sure as hell would never have approved this scenario. That bitch killed Reppy and had the stolen soft scan reactivated and delivered to my Hangar Array in Goinard.

*She takes a deep breath, centering herself before continuing.*

I had my 'contact' locked away in a closed section of storage... nothing that would break our contract, I never laid a finger on her. I just wanted her available if I ever did decide to break our negotiated dealings; this was a special case, and the thoughts were tempting. But, suicide implants were something I wasn't planning on, and she destroyed that clone without regard.

Then... then Reppy woke up. It was like the last few days had never happened to her, like she'd just taken a long nap and I'd been living a nightmare. Unfortunately, I knew better... I tried to go with being vague, only telling her what I had to. *sigh* I couldn't do it, I couldn't bring myself to leave out the truth to her; she means too much to me to have her stay near me because of a lie.

*Yet again, Inara gets quiet for some time meditating.*

So, I did the only logical thing I could. I told her, sat her down and told her for the first time that I was scared. I held on to her for dear life, afraid she was going to disappear from my grasp... but she didn't, she told me to forget it, she couldn't remember it and she couldn't think of any reason she should leave.

I told her she was too good to me, but she just giggled and kissed my worries away.

*Inara starts reaching around putting the candles out one by one with her fingers.*

Maybe... maybe this time the miracle will last.

No comments:

Post a Comment