Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Shattered, and Rebuilt

*Inara is sitting on the floor in the main room of her living quarters in front of a low table working on a device contained in a briefcase. While it appears she's not wearing anything, the location of the table and the equipment are protecting her 'modesty'. She doesn't look up as she starts talking to the camera drone.*

Well, I made a mistake. Not a little one either, I'm talking about the kind of mistake that could have destroyed me. Fortunately, someone pointed it out to me and I was able to keep it from going too far.

*Inara reaches over to a datapad sitting on the table next to her and hits a button, her image is replaced for a short time, instead showing the woman she had previously been torturing in a comfortable bed.*

She was released from my custody after three and a half days. She was well on her way to the brink of insanity, my work was going better than expected. But, revelations were made and she was released...

*Inara's features darken slightly, and she jumps as the device sparks brightly.*

Only to be captured and put into the care of someone... less nice than me. They notified me of their intentions, telling me they had hoped I would detain her longer, but since I was forcing their hand... She was to be used as a guinea pig for some rather twisted experiments, her mind erased and her body used for something.

*Inara chuckles as she continues to fiddle with the wiring.*

For the briefest moment, I considered leaving her to that fate... but, I knew I couldn't do that. Not only would that have been 'not nice', but I had agreed to a contract that said I would not kill her. My actions of releasing her was well on the way of doing just that, and I couldn't allow my actions to be the ones responsible for such things. So, I did what I do best, I negotiated for her release; and now, she's for all intents and purposes, my slave.

*A triumphant grin crosses her face as she puts another panel into place.*

At first, she was highly opposed to the idea. At least, until I told her to alternative. I saved her from, not only, being used as a test subject for someone with far too much interest in archaic Sansha technology, but also from the direct wrath of one of the Directorate. Kimochi wanted her dead, no questions asked, kill her and make sure she can never cause problems again. Well, now she's mine, and I'm going to be held responsible for any actions she might take against the Family.

Which is why she's under lock and key. I'm waiting until the storm subsides, and working with her to come to an understanding about her future. It's difficult, I wanted to do horrible things to her, I still hate her with an unholy passion, but I won't have her blood on my hands.

Maybe I can rebuild something from the pieces I created.

*She sets the soldering gun off to the side in its cradle and gently lowers a piece into place. With a satisfied grin she picks up a small screwdriver and tightens things up.*

No comments:

Post a Comment